Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Key Club Convention: Day 1

     "I pledge on my honor to uphold the objects of Key Club International; to build my home school and community; to serve my nation and God and to combat all forces which tend to undermine these institutions." - Key Club Pledge
      With these timeless words, The 62nd Annual Capital District Convention commenced, to a crowd of 800 Key Club members from all over Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.  Groups screaming, cheering, and literally running around the room, the enthusiasm was very contagious.  As a first year Key Clubber and a first time attendee of DCON, I already feel energized with a new passion for Key Club.
     I was very fortunate to be able to attend Key Club Convention with seven other people from my school; an impressive feat for a Key Club that has been official for less than two weeks.  The first thing I noticed upon arrival was just how expansive Key Club really is.  Being in a brand new Key Club governed by a less-than-active Lt. Governor, I used to have a very isolated view of Key Club.  Key Club was only something that North County did.  Other schools had it, but all their activities were separate of ours.  But there are just so many people here.  My fellow Key Clubbers and I have already made several new friends today, and the number of new friends will only continue to grow as the weekend goes on.
     The first evening's festivities were eventful but short, highlighted by a dance and the keynote speaker, Craig Melvin.  Craig Melvin is a former Key Club International President, and currently works in D.C. as a broadcast news reporter.  His articulate and inspiring speech energized the crowd, and challenged the audience to make an impact in the world.
     I can feel the energy of the Convention infecting my Key Club members.  After only one day they are already determined to increase their service and increase the impact of North County High School Key Club.   The group is beginning to bond as a family unit, and I know they will carry that with them to Key Club back home.
     Our club has certainly been challenged.  Even though having nine members attend for a brand new Key Club is certainly impressive, our club has quite a long way to go.  Several Divisions have over 100 members in attendance, while Division 14 (Anne Arundel County) had 21.  As the Lt. Governor for Division 14, I vow to do everything I can to improve the communication and cooperation within our clubs, and make Division 14 a recognized and accredited Key Club.
     The Zone Administrator for Division 14 has two other districts in his zone.  One of these Divisions has 107 people in attendance.  Division 14 has been challenged with having 108 people attend DCON next year.  That is about 11 members per club.  I believe we can do it, and I am am going to work hard to ensure that this goal is met.
Day 2 is fast approaching, and I have realized that I am getting next to no sleep this weekend.  Stop by tomorrow for my recap of Day 2's events.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment