Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

My Reactions to the Emmys

     Sorry for the week delay guys.  I have had a ton of schoolwork, and have just now gotten time to write this blog.  So here it is...
    The Emmys.  The biggest night in televison.  The "Oscars" for T.V.  The most prestigious award for American television.  Not only were there satisfactory nominations as well as wins, the award show itself was entertaining, which is a refreshing change of pace in comparison to award shows in the past.  It is also worth mentioning that the show came in at EXACTLY three hours, which almost never happens.  This blog is going to be divided into two parts; my reactions to the award winners themselves, and my reaction to show and the way it was presented.  My reactions will only be for the major awards, and will not include directing, writing or awards for miniseries or television movies.  Enjoy.

Reactions to the Winners
Outstanding Drama Series: Mad Men.
This is the third consecutive year that Mad Men has won the prestigious award, a record only beaten by Hill Street Blues, L.A. Law, and The West Wing.  Even though I do not watch this show, I know this show deserves the award.  I do wish LOST would have gotten a trophy for its excellent sixth season, but the finale was very polarizing, so I understand why the Academy did not give them the award.  Everything I hear about this show is incredibly positive, and I plan on watching it in the future.


Outstanding Comedy Series: Modern Family
I am extremely happy for this win.  Not only did it break the three-year hold 30 Rock had on this category, it also beat the powerhouse that is Glee.  Don't get me wrong, I adore Glee.  It is the most original show on television on years, and immensely fun.  However, it is a far from perfect show, and Modern Family is not only a much better show in terms of quality, it is just plain funnier.  Modern Family is my favorite comedy on T.V. right now, and I am thrilled that it won the award.


Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad)
This is the third consecutive year that Bryan Cranston has won this award.  This is a streak only beaten by Dennis Franz for Dennis Franz (NYPD Blue).  I find it interesting that the last major role he had before Breaking Bad was as the dad on Malcom in the Middle.  In any case, this guy has shown his acting chops.  In a highly competitive category that features the likes of Michael C. Hall, Hugh Laurie and Jon Hamm, he has beaten the odds to win again.  I personally think it might be compensation for Breaking Bad for losing the Best Drama trophy again, but its hard to argue that this guy doesn't deserve it.  Even though Matthew Fox of LOST didn't win, I'm just happy that his excellent six-season work on LOST was nominated in one of his stronger seasons.  Congratulations Bryan Cranston.



Lead Actress in a Drama Series:
 Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer)
I don't know enough about Kyra Sedgwick or The Closer to comment on the win, but it seems like she deserved it.  She's been nominated every year for the past four years, so I guess she finally got her due.


Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)
Jim Parsons was the favorite to win, and he deserves it.  I don't watch Big Bang Theory, but it is one of the most popular sitcoms on television, so it makes sense for the Academy to award it.  Not that Jim Parson doesn't deserve the win.  The character of Sheldon Cooper had redefined "nerd" to the masses, primariyl due to Parsons' performance.  I honestly believe however, that is Ty Burrel of Modern Family had submitted himself in the Lead Actor category instead of the Supporting Actor comedy, he would have won.  Oh well.  Congrats Jim Parsons.


Lead Actress in a Comedy Series: Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie)
Ok, I have an excuse for not watching this show.  I don't get Showtime, so it's not my fault.  Anyways, I hear a lot of good things about Nurse Jackie online as well.  I think it is interesting to note that Edie Falco is the only person in history to win a Lead Emmy Award for both a Comedy and a Drama.  A unique feat for a deserving woman.


Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad)
This award goes to a deserving man.  Of all the great and wonderful things I hear about Breaking Bad, 50% of them is about Aaron Paul.  From what I hear, it is one of the best, if not the best, performances on T.V. right now.  Though LOST got shut out twice here, both actors had previously won before, so I am not saddened.  I look forward to watch this show, so I can see for myself this award-worthy performance.


Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife)
Another show I regret not watching.  In what is traditionally a very diverse category, a freshman nomination from a freshman series is a worthy feat.  This was anybody's race, and a first-time nominee from a show that I hear is one of the best network dramas left on television, is fine by me.


Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family)
I am so very happy for this award! In a category that had THREE nominations from the same show (I hope this tells you how great of a show Modern Family is.  Sorry Ed O' Neill, you'll get them next year.)  it was kind of expected that someone from Modern Family would win.  He plays my favorite character on Modern Family, and he is one of the funniest people on T.V. right now.  This is his first nomination and win, and I am extremely thrilled for him.
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series: Jane Lynch (Glee)
Jane Lynch was the surest thing in Hollywood in regards to this role.  EVERYONE knew she was going to win.  Rightfully so, because she is playing perhaps the funniest character on television right now, and certainly one of my favorites.  She makes the character of the mean, over-bearing, psycho cheerleading coach funny and thrilling, as well as giving it unexpected depth.  Jane Lynch has been floating around the industry for a long time, and I am glad she is finally getting the recognition she deserves.
Outstanding Reality Competition Program: Top Chef
I am just glad that Amazing Race didn't win again.  For those that don't know, since this award was inducted in 2003, Amazing Race has won EVERY TIME.  Frankly, people were getting tired of it.  I don't watch either show, but I am thrilled that a show finally beat Amazing Race.
Outstanding Music, Comedy, or Variety Series: The Daily Show
As someone who has recently become a fan of The Daily Show, I am thrilled that it has won...again.  Even though it had has won every year for the past seven years, The Daily Show has managed to be culturally relevant and hilarious for the past seven years, and is utterly deserving of another win.
The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brian was nominated more out of sympathy then quality I believe, and I am extremely happy that The Daily Show continues to be recognized for its excellence it television entertainment.




Reactions to the Show
     The show was surprisingly entertaining.  Jimmy Fallon was an effective host, and never over-stayed his welcome.  The highlight of the show was definitely the opening musical number which featured Fallon, some select Glee cast members, Tina Fey, Lost's Jorge Garcia, Jon Hamm, Joel McHale, and even a surprising and    self-deprecating appearance by Kate Gosselin.  It was awesome, hilarious, epic, and a huge hit with the studio audience and the audience at home.  The perfect thing to open the Emmy's.
     Jimmy Fallon's guitar interludes weren't bad, and didn't detract from the show one way or the other.  I liked how the show was divided into 5 distinct categories, with an opening montage of various shows in that category.  
     The salute to three shows that ended this year (24, Law and Order, and LOST), was unique and refreshing.  Instead of an old fashioned video montage, Fallon used song parodies to salute our favorite shows.  I for one, thought it was an original and fresh way to pay tribute to those shows.
    Most of the presenters did a fine job, only a few were boring or had jokes that fell flat.  The best presenter of the night was definitely Betty White.  I am so glad that she has seen such a career resurgence, because she is completely and utterly hilarious.  I am glad that she has her own show.  
    In summary, the Emmys was easily the most entertaining awards show of the year.  I was not only happy with nearly all of the award winners, the show was a joy to watch and kept me entertained for almost all of the 3 hour runtime.  If next year's show is anything like this year's, the Emmy's will be the cultural and entertainment event of the year.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment