Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

HOBY 2011 Winter Reunion

     This past weekend, I had the privilege to participate in the HOBY 2011 Winter Reunion.  Not that it mattered what the event actually was; if someone sticks HOBY on the name, I'll make sure I find a way there.  I was excited to see my friends again, and "hopefully" secure my spot as a member of Team Alumni for HOBY 2011, admittedly selfish reasons.  Even someone as passionately and unabashedly in love with HOBY as I was a little bit...surprised by the choice of event for this reunion.  I was driving all the way up to Phoenix, MD on a Saturday, in freezing temperatures I might add, to hear a guy speak on volunteering?  And he was in a wheelchair?  HOBY has continually shown me the danger of preemptively making my mind up about something, but I couldn't help but be a little bit skeptical...  I figured to myself, at the very worst I get free pizza and get to see some of my HOBY friends, so it wouldn't be a total waste.  Just like it's always done, HOBY continued to surprise me.
     When I arrived there, I was a little saddened by the numbers.  There were only 5 HOBY Alums from 2010, and one from 2009, not to mention Mr. Aaron Bernstein (Big Daddy) and Ms. Carol Applegate (HOBY Mama).  It was nice to reunite with my old HOBY friends, including my bros for life Matt and Ben, as well as make some new ones.  I love just, talking to HOBY Alums, especially ones who have been around far longer than I, and have been witness to so much more life.  I learned so much, and I appreciate all the HOBY Alums who were there that day to share their stories.
    Then came the reason we were there.  We marched up to this house, most of us a little unsure about what to expect.  We sit down around a table, and wait for the speaker to come in.  Instead of walking, he is rolled in.  Our guest speaker, Mr. Dave Ward, was a quadrapelgic.  I knew ahead of time that he was in a wheelchair, but I did not know the full extent of his injuries.  I knew instantly what HOBY had brought us here today.
    Mr. Dave Ward talked with us for over an hour, and weaved an entrancing story of danger, heroics, sacrifice, service, and most importantly service.  He talked with us about he received his injury, falling off a tower into a lake, and how he has lived with that for the last 33 years of his life.  The age old saying "Actions speak louder than words" certainly is true here.  Though his list of accomplishments are quite impressive-Junior Chamber Senator, President of the Optimist Club, and running for political office, I was more struck by his attitude and character.  Here is a man who has no feeling in his entire body except for one shoulder, his neck and head.  He has been confined to a wheelchair for over 30 years, and everything has to be done for him.  He is like a slave in his own body.  Yet he has a very positive outlook on life, and a great sense of humor, which I find very admirable that a man who has suffered through extraordinary adversity can retain his positive outlook on life.
    We were given a tour of the house, which was a remarkable experience.  Mr. Ward lives in a "future home", and everything in his house is outfitted so that it can be used by a person with ANY disability.  He has rails in the bathroom, moving coffee tables, and a voice-activated computer.  It was really cool to see how technology has advanced to allow people with disabilities to live as normally as possible.  One thing he said resonated with me.  He said "We keep trying to adapt the people to the environment, but why don't we adapt the environment to the people."  What he means is instead of building wheelchairs that can climb stairs, why don't we just get rid of stairs.  I never looked at these problems through the perspective of someone who is disabled, and it was eye-opening to view it from their perspective.  I will certainly never look at these ethical issues the same again.
    The thing that made the biggest impact on me was definitely his attitude.  I'll probably forget most of what he said by next week, but I won't soon forget his attitude.  If I ended up being confined to a wheelchair for the rest of my life, I'm not sure I would be able to handle it as well as he does.  He handles himself with dignity and grace, and he has a great sense of humor, as well as a positive outlook on life that refuses to fade.  He is an optimist by nature, which for a man of his position, is inspiring.
    I'm not sure what HOBY wanted me to get out of this visit to this unique volunteer, but I know that this was a trip worth making.  I was re-energized by seeing the kindness and optimism of this man, which makes the troubles of my life seem trivial.  If this man can forge on, despite his grave circumstances, I certainly can as well.  Thank you Mr. Ward, for teaching me a lesson in optimism and overcoming obstacles.  It was an OUTSTANDING day.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chris its Gloria! (Ben connected me to your blog) I was scrolling down and saw HOBY and had to read it! This "review" is very well-written....i think you summed up how we all felt! Hope to see you soon on TA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks Gloria! Thanks for taking the time to read it!
    Hope to see you on TA as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your post and you explain each and every point very well.Thanks for sharing this information.And I’ll love to read your next post too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much sir.
    Your kind words are part of why I continue to write

    ReplyDelete